Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hope

Today is Hope Sandoval's birthday. Hope was the lead singer of Mazzy Star. I love how sincere & beautiful her voice is. The visuals for Fade Into You are very mysterious - Hope is either shot in tones of blue & black, or with glasses on. She sings while gazing at her shoes. The eyes are the window to the soul, and she hides them from the camera & the crowd. However, through her voice, she bares her soul. This contradiction is intriguing, and part of why her music is classic. "Fade Into You" was a big hit on 92.7 WDRE during the summer before I entered high school, and I will always remember it that way.

I wanna hold the hand inside you
I wanna take the breath that's true
I look to you and I see nothing
I look to you to see the truth
You live your life, you go in shadow
You'll come upon and you'll go black
Some kind of night into your darkness
Close your eyes with what's not there
Chorus:
Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew
The strange light comes on slowly
A stranger's heart is out of home
You put your hands into your head
And your smiles cover your heart

No comments:

Post a Comment