Thursday, October 16, 2008

Comme des Garcons #20 - fall 2008 - Risa Fukui


Risa Fukui Interview with Wakana Kawahito
Risa Fukui is one of the up-and-coming Kirie artists who creates a picture by cutting lines to make new space in a piece of paper. Kirie is a traditional Japanese craft technique, making a picture by cutting both white and black paper and putting color paper between space.
KI RI GA is a name of Risa's first book launching this November.
Q:I heard you learned Kirie when you joined a Kirie club at your junior high school but you stopped doing kirie after that. Why did you restart creating Kirie when you were in art school?

A:I had majored in Graphic Design at Tama Art University. At that time, graphic design was more analog; for example, using color papers to think of pattern, dividing a face to make a construction of color and drawing a line by hand. Paper was a comfortable material for me. In my sophomore year, I had homework in class to create works by any kind of technique I wanted. At that time, using paper reminded me I was good at making Kirie. A lot of my classmates were superior to me in terms of drawing and painting watercolors, and I was trying to find my own style. Then, I tried Kirie and it was really fun and worked out. I have been making Kirie since then.

Q:How long does it take time to create a work?

A:For example, I am making one A3 and one A4 white and black works per week for weekly magazine. It is actually hard. If it is necessary to put colors, it will take more. I usually need two or three weeks to create a piece of work.
Q:What kind of Kirie are you looking for?

A:I am interested in bringing active element and movement within flat and silence space of Kirie. It is essential to cut a line for Kirie. I think that my originality is in organic and vivid lines. It is most important that my work be is full of strength and vitality.

Q:What inspires you?

A:I am interested in something alive such as plants and animals, and things that move like smoke. Additionally, my imagination is ignited by invisible things. For example, music from the drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment