Thursday, April 9, 2009

Women Loves Robert Nethery

Robert Nethery was born in Amityville, New York on the south shore of Long Island. Amityville is the town immediately to the east of where I grew up. At 2 years old he relocated to Miami, Florida. He grew up around the beach and sun of South Florida, becoming obsessed with skateboarding and then with surfing.

During middle school he started listening to punk music when all the other kids were listening to freestyle and the booty bass of Luther Campbell. He loved the good stuff as well so he became the surfer kid who listened to punk music but could still go to a house party and get down dancing to Stacey Q and 2 Live Crew. Working at the surf shop was his high school job. Going out at night in Miami at an early age exposed him to decadent people living the glamorous life.

Robert studied Graphic Design at the New England School of Art and Design in Boston. After school he returned to Miami. Through connections he made working at the surf shop in high school he started assisting photographers shooting editorial (as well as German catalogs) in Miami.

In Robert's own words:

Then one day I got a phone call from my good friend and ex boss Scott from the surfshop and he was telling me this guy Bruce was in the store and he is a photographer and that he had told him about me doing photo assisting and that if he ever needed an assistant he should call me. I didn't think much of it because we always had photographers shop there. Then about a week later I got a phone call from Bruce Weber I couldn't believe it he asked me if I was interested in working with him and that if so I should come meet his assistants in Miami. I went to meet them and did a job with them that weekend I ended up working with him for 2 years as his full time assistant traveling and having the experience of my life. I got to meet amazing people and see places that most likely I would have never visited. I also learned not only the technical aspect of photography but how to use a medium to tell a story and convey an idea from one of the best photographers in the world. I left Bruce's camp about a year and a half ago and now I'm working on my own photographs for fashion publications, other clients and always trying to capture what I remember growing up and trying to create the fantasy that I always wanted to live in but couldn't outside of my photographs.

That's when I began working with Robert. In October he emailed me an image that inspired him: a beautiful woman wearing a bodysuit with spaghetti straps and black hosiery. The image inspired me as well, and we discussed the idea of myself styling a shoot with him. We also discussed who was the right woman to photograph, and the right time.

Ana Mihajlovic is that woman that inspired us. She has all the essential qualities that good models have: symmetrical features, clear soft skin, lush hair, emeralds for eyes. What makes Ana a great model is her charm, her gentle ways, her strength, her patience, her body language, her sexyness, and her true love for fashion. This is my 2nd sitting working with Ana. For this shoot we collaborated - Ana brought the fringed sheer top/minidress and several other amazing pieces. Ana is a modern woman - she collects vintage fashion that flatters her and appeals to her sense of whimsy. Her discreet elegance and natural beauty make it impossible to take your eyes off of her.

Robert photographed Ana Mihajlovic on March 8th, 2009. It was a small, intimate shoot: just Robert, Ana, myself and Christian MacDonald assisting Robert. No hair & makeup - just a camera, light and Ana.

I look forward to working with Robert again this Saturday.

Ana Mihajlovic, Ph: Robert Nethery:


Ana Mihajlovic, Ph: Robert Nethery:


Ana Mihajlovic, Ph: Robert Nethery:


Ana Mihajlovic, Ph: Robert Nethery:


Ana Mihajlovic, Ph: Robert Nethery:

No comments:

Post a Comment