Monday, March 2, 2009

Crying

"Crying" is a rock and roll ballad written by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson and sung by Orbison.

I was all right for a while, I could smile for a while
But I saw you last night you held my hand so tight
As you stopped to say hello
Oh, you wished me well, you couldn't tell
That I've been crying over you, crying over you
And you said, so long
Left me standing all alone
Alone and crying, crying, crying, crying
It's hard to understand but the touch of your hand
Can start me crying

I thought that I was over you
But it's true, so true
I love you even more than I did before
But darling, what can I do
For you don't love me and I'll always be
Crying over you, crying over you

Yes, now you're gone and from this moment on
I'll be crying, crying, crying, crying
Yeah, crying, crying over you

The song was released as a 45rpm single by Monument Records in July 1961 and went to No. 2 on the Billboard pop music charts.

Crying, performed by Roy Orbison




In 1987, Orbison rerecorded the song as a duet with k.d. lang as part of the soundtrack for the motion picture, Hiding Out. Their collaboration won the Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals. The duet version was a minor chart hit for the two, peaking at #42 on the Hot Country Singles chart.



Crying, performed by K.D. Lang




Rebekah Del Rio performed an a cappella Spanish language version of the song, entitled "Llorando" in the 2001 David Lynch film Mulholland Dr. The song had also previously been used on the soundtrack for the 1997 cult film Gummo, directed by Harmony Korine, in which two of the central characters even discuss the song at length.




Rebekah Del Río explains the beautiful and mysterious story about her translation & cover of Crying on her website.

Crying was featured in the movie Gummo.



After huffing glue, Tummler remarks that his cross-dressing brother used to sing Crying. Tummler then proceeds to weakly sing parts of the song. The original version of the song is used during the last scenes of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment